View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 06-28-2019 03:41 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

Steve,
From what you describe, it sounds like over-heating is the root-cause, and that leads to the drop in oil pressure as the too-hot oil thins out. The initial 50 Psi of oil pressure is about normal, and steers my thinking away from any bearing clearance issues.

Over-heating could be due to something as simple as a loose or worn V-belt not driving the water pump at full speed, but I suspect that Bruce is on the right track about the radiator being due for a good cleaning, re-core, or replacement.

IF the water pump is failing, then also consider upgrading to the later Turbo 910 impeller during the rebuild. It's longer than the stock impeller, and not a direct fit. Just take the new & old impellers to a machine shop, and have them shorten the 910 impeller's nose to match the old impeller's overall length. The rest of the rebuild is as normal.

I know, I'm splitting hairs, but tight valve clearances aren't a 'problem'. That's normal wear, it happens almost on schedule, and is routine maintenance, like the chronic 'dirty oil' problem is just maintenance.

Good luck,
Tim Engel

Attachment: Cooling - Water Pump - Impeller - 907 left & 910 right - high 94kb.jpg (Downloaded 205 times)