View single post by TommyV9
 Posted: 06-27-2019 02:31 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
TommyV9

Bruce,

Thanks for the tips, I'm familiar with the tin worm :). My most recent and only other car I have restored was a 71 911. I used a lot of POR15 on that car in the process of bringing it back from a roller to a running car.

The JH (Jenny as her former owner named her) has a little rust perforation at the angle of the drivers door sill(left) and the rear fender. My friend Jeremy told me about those coverplates and the areas getting dirt and sand filled and wet and starting the rust from inside out. The floor pans still had the rubber mats and there is a 1 inch diameter hole in the driver pan and while rusty, it seems pretty solid. My plan is to wire brush the rest away, treat it with a rust converter and POR15 or epoxy primer on both sides. Edit: I also plan to weld a patch into the floor. I'll take it to a body shop whose owner has restored British roadsters for his kids to drive as they came of age, so he should be able to take car of the area in the rear fender, door sill area.

Remarkably, that is the only rust I can find on the entire car. It has been well taken care of. It was owned since 2005 by an ASE mechanic but sat mostly after his death in 2015. He bought the car from the original owner who was a friend of his. His widow, Connie, cried when we drove away with her. This car has been loved.

Last edited on 06-27-2019 02:33 pm by TommyV9