View single post by redracer
 Posted: 06-06-2019 10:24 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
redracer

I suppose I should have responded earlier, but since I read you had ordered a pair for the earlier style tensioner, I did not reply.
I, and quite a few others, do not like the later style tensioner for 2 reasons;
1) they are very expensive(they were in the $80 range 20 years ago; have no idea what they cost now, but don't want them anyway). Just ordered SKF bearings on AMAZON for about $18/pair. Takes me 1/2 hour to R&R the bearings, using Loctite 242 (or 620 for worn housings)on the outer surface.
2) they have a flat surface for the back of the belt as opposed to the slightly concave style of the earlier ones that had the safety factor of making sure the belt would stay on the surfaces.
We used to retrofit the earlier style to all the '75 & later vehicles.
One very important note that I published in the White Lady, issue 62, June 1993, page 11 (I had told Greg Fletcher he was welcome to reprint any of my articles if he wished, but I guess this was not done).
The very early outer shafts have a length of 21mm as opposed to the later style ones of 19 mm. The problem arises if you attempt to use the LATER longer style OUTER washer on an earlier hub;the longer washer will NOT compress on the inner hub of the metal bearings, no matter how much torque you place on the locknut. This will OBVIOUSLY lead to the tensioner turning, loosening the tensioner and breaking valves, etc.
However, please feel free to follow your own thoughts, but please be aware.
best wishes, bruce