View single post by CDA951
 Posted: 03-29-2019 03:25 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
CDA951

Hi everyone,
I finally had time to fire up the engine of #19250 after a lengthy rebuild (I will post more about this soon), and after less than a half-hour of running, I heard a metallic scraping noise from the front of the engine, and sure enough the auxiliary shaft pulley had pushed the circlip back and was rubbing on the aux shaft housing.
Thanks to Tim Engel and Bruce/redracer as always for the informative posts. To rectify the situation, I took a three-pronged approach: I bought a new circlip and woodruff key from JAE (great to have them here in town!), and Joe also found me a good used OE Lotus aux shaft/cam pulley.

I am having trouble attaching pictures, but the solid aftermarket pulley that was on the engine has a much narrower chamfer on the ID as Bruce mentioned. Check the Jensen Healey Facebook group for pics.

For extra insurance, I applied blue Loctite to the ID of the pulley as Tim suggested. Now all is well, except the timing belt does ride at the rear edge of the new/used OE pulley (it is exactly in the middle of the cam pulleys). I will play around with this and report back.

Thanks again,
Chris

Last edited on 03-29-2019 04:35 am by CDA951