View single post by Dan Eiland
 Posted: 03-27-2005 05:44 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan Eiland

Hi,

I'm in the process of finishing up my front suspension rebuild. I took lots of digital photos before any dissassmbly which has sure come in handy on the reassembly process.

I dropped the entire front assembly out of the car with the engine attached. This wasn't all that hard. Once I had all the hydraulics, wiring, hoses and everything else disconnected then it was just a matter of 4 bolts and it was ready to remove. I used my engine lift to raise the front of the body high enough to roll everything from out under the car. Once I had it all out, I lowered the body back down and used the engine lift to pick up the engine and mount it to my engine stand. Removed the tires and then I went to town on the front suspension. Taking the front suspension apart wasn't all that difficult. Removing all the bushings and installing all the new polyurethane bushings is a different story. Ended up purchasing a 12 ton press which came in very handy on the front bushings. BTW, the press paid for itself. To get someone locally to do the bushings was $5.00 per bushing. That is $5.00 to remove and another $5.00 to install. Since there are 10 bushings on the front suspension it would have cost me $100 to have someone else do them. I bought a 12 ton shop press at a local tool company for $88 that is sold at Harbor Freight for $125. The shop press has come in handy on several projects so it has paid for itself for all I am concerned. The only other tool I had to purchase was a spring compressor to install the front springs. Once the springs were installed I used my shop press to compress each side to install the shocks and control arms.

All I am doing now is cleaning up the steering rack and installing new boots and tie rod ends so I can mount it back onto the front member. Anyone know what lubricant is used in the steering rack? Guess I'll get off my $%% and go look it up. If you have any questions on your front suspension I'll try to answer them the best I can.

Dan Eiland