View single post by jomac
 Posted: 11-14-2018 08:54 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
jomac

recently drove my JH. i notice engine ran a little rough while cruising in high gear. air temp was about 30 and engine was running below halfway mark on the temp gauge. later i did a performance check thru all gears. afterwards, the engine loss power and stalled. i pulled over on the shoulder and stopped. i then turn off the ignition and then promptly restarted the car and drove home like nothing happen.
could this be a sticky carb float valve? any suggestion.

latest update:
First thank you all for responses and help. i traced it down to my positive wiring connection to the battery. last year i bought those quick disconnect battery terminals (junk). well the cheap way they secure your cables are with none locking nuts and those worked their way loose causing intermittent power.. i replaced it with standard terminal for multiple cable attachments. (i have fused relays on all my main components.. lights, starter and fuel pump that power directly from the battery.)
latest update 2:
well it did it again but this time i put the car in neutral and pump the gas, keeping the engine running rough. It cleared itself out and ran normal. it sounded like engine was starving for fuel.
i discovered that it was the temp compensators are faulty. which makes sense cold engine doesn't need more air. so i shut them both off and let the engine cool down and retested car.
problem went away!
Its in the twenties here, causing the problem to show up rather in the warm months.

Last edited on 11-19-2018 05:12 pm by jomac