View single post by scottsmi
 Posted: 09-08-2018 02:28 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
scottsmi

Hi Tim,
As always you are a great source of knowledge. As I began my investigation testing both cams for mobility and zeroing in on the exhaust cam front journal as frozen. I blew air through the various holes in the cam housing and understood the purpose of the hollow dowels. Interesting that air also passed through the passage that the bolt holding the water pump screws into. I thought about the fact that if that bolt was too long it could block oil flow, but didn't seem to be the case. (couldn't read the note about that on the diagram you sent due to distortion). I then progressed to the head itself and pulled the head to examine. I noticed that the head gasket was placed incorrectly and the oil passage from the oil pump was mostly blocked by the gasket itself. Not sure how either cam survived this but indeed there was some oil in both housings. I believe I read in an earlier post that there are not any cam bearings that can be replaced, so I am trying to find replacement cams and carriers. Not sure if I can use the intake cam still since it spins freely and appears in good condition.