View single post by redracer
 Posted: 08-29-2018 09:21 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
redracer

since you say "74, I will assume it's a 4spd(and not a converted to 5spd or Toyotatm)
1)disconnect the battery
2)remove the 2 screws in the back of the center console and the shift knob
3)from the passenger side, remove the center console slightly to unplug the 3 wires for the cigarette lighter(if you have not disconnected the battery, the purple wire is constantly "hot"). now remove the console
4)remove the 4 #2 crosspoint screws holding the shift lever to the tm., being careful as this is spring loaded and yank out the shift lever
5)remove the engine dampener(9/16" bolts)
6)remove the starter and then the #4 crosspoint screw it hides
7)drain tm fluid; if you wish to "save' it, jack the rear of the car much higher than the front and make yourself tm "plug" with 1 3/8" drain tubing and solder it to a copper plate(this will also be helpful in installing the tm since you can fill it up before hand)
8) remove driveshaft and install plug(if desired)
9)remove clutch cable, reverse light connectors, and speedo cable. yank shift lever fork out of its fulcrum pivot (many levers have had their spring steel hold-downs damaged by laying the tm on its side with the lever and ruining it)
10)put a bottle jack or equivalent under oil pan in order to remove the tm support
11) remove the 2 small 10mm head bolts holding the front coverplates to the bell housing
12)remove all the 17mm hex head bolts making careful note of where each one went as there are different lengths
13)wiggle tm out onto your chest; it weighs about 75 pounds so if you feel it's too much for you, you'll need to make/use a tm. "hoist"

I probably forgot something here, but that is the gist of it. my normal time ia 5 hours of R&R for 4 spds and 6 hours for 5 spds