View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 08-20-2018 03:53 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

Mondial1,
There are plunger type pumps that fit gear oil bottles (like the pump on a hand lotion bottle or liquid soap dispenser). Valvoline (for one) sells a tall pump that fits their tall bottles, and a short pump that fits their short one. Or, there are very similar generic ones available at auto parts stores. Or, go to a fiberglass/ composites supply store, and buy the one of the several pumps used for dispensing resin.

All the above use a clear tubing to get from the pump to the filler hole. That allows you to visually confirm that fluid is flowing.

For the special case of the J-H, where you need to reach up into a narrow space, filling might be made easier if you make a small wand out of thinwall copper water pipe with a 90 degree elbow on the end. Just keep in mind that the wand will be full of oil when you're done, and have an open hole in the end (no check valve). Carefully hold it upright while you withdraw it so that you don't make a mess.

My favorite dispenser is an old Sta-Lube Synthetic 75W90 gear oil bottle. It's a short & wide rectangle instead of a tall cylinder, so the car doesn't have to be jacked up as far. It's clear so you can watch the oil level to gauge progress. It has a dedicated plunger pump with 'features'. The plastic nozzle has a molded-in spring-clip that allows it to be snapped into the filler hole so that you don't need to hold it there... and a quick lever release. And the nozzle snaps onto a holder on the pump body that holds it nose-up so it doesn't drip. I used the last of that gear oil many years ago, but have kept the container. Whatever gear oil I buy, I transfer it into this bottle before pumping it into the transmission.

I realize that last paragraph is a useless bit if info if you can't find that bottle, but that sort of thing, and the generic pumps, are out there. 'Think' that way.

The red oil can is great for Triumph & other Britcars that use lower-trunnion type front suspension uprights that need to be oil-lubed periodically. A couple of pumps, and you're done. But you'll wear out a few thumbs filling a gearbox with it.

Regards,
Tim Engel