View single post by jomac
 Posted: 07-21-2018 01:11 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
jomac

my Jensen after a half hour drive, started off from stop light it started sputtering ( loss of power ) then stalled, i looked under the hood and noticed nothing unusual, got back into the car and it started and i drove home without any problems. it was warm and humid , temp about 80 degrees.
half tank of fuel and engine a normal temp. any thoughts on where to start to troubleshoot? first time this happened.
flame thrower coil is 4 years old.

more info, i have a pertronix distributor 176628 and a 40k flamethrower coil (40511), it stalled again after driving 5 mins, and it was 65 degrees outside. this time it did not sputter just lost power i pump the throttle no effect. then it stalled. but i waited 30 sec. and it started right up.i drove home about a mile. i checked the carb diaphragms, are good, oil in carbs, checked the full pump relay, and pump., i have a fuel check valve installed , will bypass it.removed fuel line to carb filter and check valve- plenty of fuel in line. but removing check valve anyway.also, i have a low oil pressure shut off valve on engine due to the electric fuel pump, it seems to be in good working order. i checked the ohms on the coil there within specs.but that's only static measurement. checked fuse block all are good and tight. my bet its the coil, the ignitor I: if it failed i don't think it would restart so quickly.?

latest update 7/23 talk with pertronix tech support they said that it's most likely the ignitor is failing, but a lose connection of the two leads to the coil could cause it. well my connections a sound. i order a new ignitor. also, they ruled out a failing coil, because i could restart the engine so quickly. coils overheat and take time to cool. FYI whom ever encounters the problem.

Last edited on 07-23-2018 11:54 pm by jomac