View single post by Lawrence Tod
 Posted: 10-03-2005 01:11 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Lawrence Tod

Morning Everyone

I was just wondering if anyone had ever come across this problem?
11211 was running poorly last week, backfiring, and idling all over the place.

I originally thought it was the condenser, and changed it as well as the points. I have the "blue " spark plug wires as well as the flame thrower coil from the pertronix set up. I am not currently using the pertronix as I it quit working after about a day , and reading everyones horror stories, I went back to the points. I am using the original ceramic firewall mounted ballast resistor. I have already dealt with the problems with the wiring through the tachometer to the ballast. I have checked with the voltmeter and I have proper amounts of voltage where I am supposed to.

The only thing that my mind can settle on that the problem might be is:
when I was changing the points and condenser iI noticed that the ground wire ( fine like baby hair and braided) , that is fastened with a "crush" or "press" fitting adjacent to where the points fasten, and is screwed to the body of the distributer at the other end.

While examing this I found that the end fasted adjacent to the points could rotate easily. if it can rotate could it lose contact ? If it could lose ground momentarily there would be no circuit. Has anybody encountered this before? Or does anyone have any other suspicions?

11211 is currently my daily drive so backfiring at the cross walk is a real embarresment. ;^(