View single post by johnfalveyross
 Posted: 03-24-2018 09:55 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
johnfalveyross

I have a much better understanding of what you are explaining than I did 21/2 years ago but it’s still kinda Greek for me but not totally. That being said, the additional wire run from the tach was definitely not connected to the side of the coil that goes to the points, so that can be switched easy.

I do have on loan from another friend an old Sears/Penske engine diagnostic machine that I think has the functions you describe for the analyzer. Whether or not I can figure it out remains to be seen. Because I’m a novice I need to ask, does the car need to be running to check the dwell and condition of the points? Before I sent the distributor to advanced to get rebuilt I did purchase the rebuild kit from the club store so I think I have another set of points to install if these ones prove to be damaged.

I did try some quick start the other night with no success. Again, my experience with doing that is limited to lawn mower and snow blower carbs and never with this car. I’m a work in progress.

The reason I did not convert the ignition to electronic at the time was cost as there were a couple of other projects going. Maybe the thing to do is just switch it over now and be done with it. Would it be very difficult to do. I have read a lot of posts here concerning the conversion, mostly to Pertronix. The whole points thing sounds like being involved in a dysfunctional high mantinance relationship. Thanks again for your help.