View single post by johnhem
 Posted: 10-01-2005 10:12 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
johnhem

A couple of weeks ago I was under pressure to add another car to the family's collection. Instead of getting my High School daughter a car, I convinced my wife that it would be workable for me to get a classic british sports car as a daily driver and to let my daughter take over the Chevy Metro. That's when vin#18617 came into my life. The car seemed in fair shape and is drivable. Test drove it and I was a goner. Brought it home the same day. It took a little while to realize the alternator isn't working but charging the battery on weekends has kept it on the road. After browsing the message board, I think I know now how the voltmeter should behave. Since it occasionally seems to charge (it did especially well on a cold morning), I'll go over the connections this weekend. Previous owner related that the alt was only a couple of years old and should be good. The oil got about a quart low before I noticed it and a valve tap appeared. Changed oil and filter and still tapping. Changed the spark plugs and found oil on the one from the #1 cylinder. Still running though. All tips and advice are welcome. But specifically, I would be interested in people's opinions on how to maintain the car as a daily driver. After a couple of weeks it seems like it's comparable to a motorcycle in that there are probably things that I should be checking on a regular basis and adjusting, tightening, lubing, etc. as needed. I'm sure I'll have some regrets as the Jensen and I get to know each other better, but WOW is this thing fun to drive!