View single post by johnfalveyross
 Posted: 03-22-2018 06:36 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
johnfalveyross

Hello JH community,
I have owned my JH (15190) since August 2015 and have been a member of the club about that long. I have never posted anything here but have researched and found answers to many questions over the last 2 1/2 years so thank you all for your help. This is my first British car and it has not (at least for me) been like starting in the shallow end of the pool.

The car had a number of electrical (among other) issues when I got it and they have slowly been gone through to the point where all the major electrical components have either been rebuilt or replaced. Only problem is, it don't run! It has in the past but hasn't since last Nov.

The tach has never worked and last fall I finally got the time to try and install the Spidya RVI to RVC conversion board purchased a year earlier. Very long story short, after speaking with Chris from Spidya many times via email and still not being able to get the thing working he suggested mailing it to him in the UK. I did, he tested it and the movement worked fine. Great, right? Wrong. I tried installing it once again and there was some movement at idle but once the accelerator was applied and as soon as the needle reached 10G it would drop back to zero. Frustrated, perplexed etc. I reached out to Chris again (who at this point is starting to feel the same way) and he suggested that maybe the coil wasn't producing enough current to operate the gauge properly. I ordered a 12V Bosch Blue Coil and waited.

The last time I drove the car was with the Remy Delco coil that came in it. I drove it about 30 miles and came home to install the new Bosch coil. Thinking that my problems would soon be over I turned the key but the car would not start. It sounded like it really wanted to start and actually did run rough for about 2 seconds and that was it. I tried putting the original coil back on thinking it would run but had no luck.

When I first tried the Bosch coil it was in conjunction with the ballast resistor not realizing that the blue coil has (I think) an internal ballast. Once realizing that the external ballast was not needed it was removed along with the white yellow wire to the solenoid. The white slate wire from the tach was placed to the + side of the coil the result being the same, the engine cranks but will not fire. I put an extra spark plug in the # 1 wire and laid it on the side of the motor to see if there was spark. There was. The fuel pump was just rebuilt and I know gas is getting to the carbs which were also just rebuilt. Fuel, air & spark, all three seem to be present.

At this point I’m at a loss along with a lot of other things. I’m hoping the good people of the JH community who have already helped me so much without knowing it can come to my rescue with an official call for Help! Thanks to anyone who read this all the way through. Believe it or not this is the short story, it’s been a long 2 1/2 years.
Best,
John Ross