View single post by answerman
 Posted: 01-08-2018 09:23 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
answerman

Well, the distributor portion of things just got more complicated: more below.

First, I did get the timing belt changed to the blue Gates Racing belt, which was the first thing I wanted to do. Also, I finally joined the dark side of all you JH owners and left the belt guard off on reassembly. So, that's one thing checked off.

Now, about the distributor.

I pulled it out and I appear to have leaks from a couple of different places. First of all, the external O-rings were indeed in place, but it was still pretty oily on the shaft past the O-rings. Not sure just how much oil should be stopped by them but some is definitely getting through.

More troubling, though, is that the distributor had quite a bit of oil inside the cap. So, it appears to be leaking internally too. What complicates things is that it's not an original Lucas 25D distributor, but a Pertronix Flamethrower replacement purchased from Delta. So, there seems to be some question regarding whether there's even a seal in there, or if it's the same as the Lucas distributor. I talked to Delta today and they are going to look into it and get back to me tomorrow. I found a source for the Chicago Rawhide internal seal for the Lucas 25D, but before I start ripping things apart I want to make sure that the Pertronix distributor accepts the same seal.

Also, while I'm in there, is there a seal inside the oil pump housing that I should be worried about?

Confused? Stay tuned. And if anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free.