View single post by redracer
 Posted: 02-18-2017 05:25 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
redracer

Assume you mean one of the half shafts in the rear? Yes, I have plenty of very good used ones, but I am on the other side of the U.S., so there is likely someone in CA who has one.
"But that wasn't it. Upon further investigation at 74,600 the distributor cap had enough oil in it that the rotor could re-wet its self with each rotation. How the car would actually run with so much oil in the distributor cap was beyond me at this point! So dissassembly started last night to find that the shaft has no actaul seal and only a screw groove slinger thread in the OD is provided to keep the oil from migrating into the area where the fly weights, pertronix pickup and rotor exist in the housing. Because it is horizontal, the oil ingress once it starts has to get about a 1/2 deep before the oil can drain from the unit."
Your right in that the earlier distributors did NOT have an oil seal on the shaft-into-the-housing, just below the weights like the later 25 & 45 distributors.(most of the cars they went into had the dist. mounted vertically, so oil getting into it was unlikely). On the ones that did not have the seal, I knocked the upper steel bushing down farther to accommodate a seal(SKF #4702, 12X12X5mm HMS4 R).