View single post by Joel
 Posted: 09-16-2005 01:00 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Joel

Back to the drawing board. With the new wires, plugs (gapped at 40-45), rotor, cap, coil and pertronix there is a MARKED inprovement. However, it's still not right. The car will idle but if I pull wires 1 and 2 while she's idling - no change. ie, it's not firing on the front 2 cylinders.

The acceleration is much better now - but still stutters from 1500rpm to 22-2500. I'm guessing that's about the point where she starts to get enough juice to fire the 2 front cylinders and the stuttering is intermittent firing.

Wiring to the coil seems to have an extra wire. . .I have not traced them all down b/c they are all in the harness.

On the positive side (+) there is one red wire from the pertronix. One that looks like it was red (before being wrapped w/ electrical tape - the original plastic is quite soft - maybe it got very hot once??) and goes thru the firewall. The other wire is white and goes into the wiring harness up by the engine. THe other wire (white with black trace) also goes to the harness and goes to the negative side of the coil.

The negative side of the coil has the aforementioned white with black trace that goes to the harness. ANd, the black wire from the pertronix.

The previous Lumination system had a very expertly (NOT!) jury rigged wire that went from the fuse box over to the heat sink that was mounted on the firewall - part of the Lumination system that I completely replaced with Pertronix.

So - it's a little better but still not right. Ideas?