View single post by themagicalswitch
 Posted: 09-10-2005 11:00 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
themagicalswitch

What is the goal? Well, basically losing a significant amount of weight will totally transform the car. Do you think that taking 100-200 lbs of weight or even more off of the car would add no value? That is just like adding power via 2.2L kits and all that other jazz, but the engine could remain the same.

Except this will enable you to brake and accelerate quicker through the lesser amount of weight being pulled around less rotational mass as I would use lighter cross drilled rotors, turn the flywheel down, etc...

In addition if the car were X-hundred pounds lighter with the 2.2L, Dellortos, etc. don't you think that would be a fun car? Now that would be a sports car.

As far as money goes - I'm not on some budget here, but besides that it wouldn't take much to do the things listed (unless the aluminum body was made) as I would do all the work myself, and in the case of the aluminum - with the help of a friend. Aluminum is kind of expensive, but carbon, resin, and mold release aren't. Neither are the materials to make the mold.

I guess this crew just isn't into this mode of thought, maybe because it is a "classic" car and it is supposed to be how it was designed. Well I owned a totally restored JH that was similar to the original spec and I can say it was a cool car, but there are tons of improvements to be made.

I'm also from the motorcycle building world where ounces matter. So I guess that is where this fascination comes form.