View single post by answerman
 Posted: 05-20-2016 04:20 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
answerman

I have the same installation (might be a different starter but it's the same idea) and it was pretty straightforward. I'll try to get a picture of it today, but basically you should have 3 wires attached to the starter solenoid (which is the smaller piggyback unit on top of the starter).

Going from memory, you should have 2 wires connected to the large lug on the solenoid. One is the battery cable, and the other is a smaller brown wire which runs back to the alternator and attaches to the center terminal (the "voltage sense" wire). Then, you have a third wire which connects to the solenoid "trigger". I don't remember the color, but it's the one from the ignition switch.

The 4th wire, as Joachim said, is there to provide 12v to the ballast resistor during starting. I can't remember the color offhand. You won't have anywhere to attach that on the starter, but the good news is that you don't need it. To verify, clean it up so you can see what color it is (maybe brown with a white stripe, or white with a brown stripe?), get a continuity tester, and find the other end at the ballast resistor. Once you find it, just tape it off or something (I just had my wiring harness out and actually pulled the harness out and removed it). My car is starting just fine without it, probably because the gear reduction starter spins so much faster.