View single post by Jay
 Posted: 09-08-2005 04:49 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jay

In a search to find some of my road noise, I took a breif look under my Jensen Healey. I discovered that my right front shock's lower connection has considerable play and creates a clunk sound when you quickly move that corner up and down (by hand). I can feel movement between the eye of the shock and the adjacent mounting bracket. Although this accounts for some of the noise, I am wondering if there may be other ways to find sources of such noise (those noies, rattles and clunks you get when going a rather bumppy road). I have been reading some post and noted that some replacement shocks are supplied without a steel sleeve in the center of the rubber. Do you think my shock maybe doesn't have the metal sleeve? Or do you think that maybe the rubber has just worn out? Or both?
My Jensen has both the front and rear sway bars. I thought they were original equipment. After seeing the front sway bar listed in the "Warehouse", the note "You'll need to relocate your lower A-arms from each side in order to mount correctly." got my attention. I'm now figuring that the front sway bar is an added upgrade. Is this so? Is the rear sway bar an upgrade also? The reason I was wondering is that if these have been added, maybe the suspension bushings have been replaced also. Is there something that I could look for to determine if my suspension bushings have been replaced? As for the loose shock mount, could I repair the lower shock connection (short term) rather than replacing the pair of shocks? Any information or reply is appreciated.

I also noticed that one of the brackets that mounts the front sway bar to the body/frame has gotten smashed a little. Is the bracket and bushing(s) available as separate items, or do I need to fashion a sutiable bracket.

Thanks,