View single post by stevegarnjobst
 Posted: 12-02-2015 11:23 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
stevegarnjobst

Jim Picot wrote:
...I wouldn't have thought you could remove the spring retainers without causing problems - they locate the springs on the lower arms and would need something to secure them. Not sure what you mean by "I know others have converted to standard coil springs" - the JH springs are standard coil springs? But I'm intrigued by your idea of using adjustable spring perches if they effectively replace the retainers. I still have my problem with the uneven ride height on mine (30 mm low on drivers side at front, about 20 mm at the back), despite putting in all-new everything.

How would you propose to use them - you might need to fabricate some kind of locator to keep the spring correctly positioned?

If you look at the photo of the adjuster I posted, that acts as a spring locator, as the spring sits around the tube. At the other end, I was planning to use a commonly available spring seat, which includes a central locating tube. There are a number of cars that use such spring seats to locate the springs with no clamps like those used on the J-H.

When I say "standard" spring, I'm referring to 2.25" or 2.5" racing springs, as comminly used on coilover systems. They're inexpensive and available in a wide range of spring rates and lengths. I've read at least 2 or three threads where other J-H owners have converted their rear springs in a similar fashion. I'm just trying to determine whether I should worry about securing the springs or if the adjuster/locator will be sufficient.