View single post by answerman
 Posted: 11-02-2015 08:11 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
answerman

After a thorough degreasing and pressure washing of the engine, the new rear main seal was installed this weekend. It went pretty uneventfully.

Tip: to get the spacing from the edge of the housing correct, I did a little measuring with my digital caliper and found that a "stack" of two CDs (I had some blank ones lying around) measure at .095" thick. They made a nice spacer when pressing the seal into place.

The rear flange cleaned up nicely (no groove, just a mark where the old seal rode which cleaned up with a Scotchbrite pad and a little WD40). Honestly, centering the seal housing wasn't that much of an issue. The new seal fits much more tightly than the old one (which likely explains the leak) and it pretty much centered itself. As far as I can tell, it's centered to within a thousandth of an inch and I guess the only way to see if it was a success is to wait till the engine goes back in.

Next step: removing the cams (forgot to bring my turkey baster to suck the oil out of the cam housings) and pull the head to send off to the machine shop to have them assess and do their magic.