View single post by Joel
 Posted: 09-01-2005 04:15 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Joel

Ok, some of the discussion for this post is in the ditribution of distributor probs thread.

Bottom line is my baby is running again!

I busted the edge of the dist where the clamp holds it on. But there's still enough to hold it in place.

I found tdc (or close anyway) from the marks on the cam gears. I found that the pulley marking the timing isn't original. The new one has a nice 'scratch' to mark the timing - obviously an upgrade from the PO(S).

I removed the Luminination system and put in a new pertronix with new coil, cap, rotor, wires - the whole shebang.

After cranking a couple of times I realized it wasn't right. I had the wires going clockwise instead of 'anti-clockwise'. Anyway, rectified that and cranked again. I had checked which plug the rotor was pointing towards but she'd spit and maybe run for a second or two but wouldn't go.

So, I got very scientific and rotated the dist one way to see what would happen. Sure enough she fired. So I turned it until she would idle and then fiddled with it with a timing light.

Now, she idles. She wouldn't idle before so I'm happy. She still seems to be missing a bit. But, I need to gap the plugs and make sure everything is tightened down and do the timing when I have an extra pair of hands. So, I'm sure it will be fine for now.

And, now I've got other problems I'll post in other threads - gas tank discussion anyone???

Thanks for all the great posts everyone - much better than trying to get by with just the manual.