View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 08-30-2005 12:55 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Don,

A frozen stud is never fun to deal with...

First question:  Assuming the head is off the block, do you really need to remove all the studs? 

The only real reason to remove the studs would be to deck the block.  With the later style (thick) head gasket I've only had one block that needed to be decked.  Run a straight-edge across the deck and liners to check the nip.  If the nip is .002"- .005" you're fine.

There's also no reason to remove the liners.  The iron liners corrode themselves to the aluminum block and create a fantastic seal (actually better than the later Nikasil liners).  Virtually every machinist can hone the liners in place w/o the need to remove the studs.

If you really need to remove the studs...

There's no substitute for Liquid Wrench, Marvel Mystery Oil, and/or WD-40 plus a lot of elbow grease.  I use the 'double-nut' method to remove studs.  To get the studs out of my 1986 HCI block, I needed a 24" torque wrench to apply enough turning power to get mine out.  I don't suggest an impact wrench as the block can crack easily.

Additionally, you may want to try 'hot-tanking' the block to remove more corrosion and/or applying some heat to the stud with a propane torch while you wrench on it.

Good luck!