View single post by NigelK
 Posted: 05-20-2015 06:03 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
NigelK

Hi Jim

Given all the suspension components you have replaced, I suspect the most likely causes of your body lean are:

1. Distorted front subframe
2. Incorrect positioning of the chassis/body relative to the subframe
3. Distortion/incorrect mounting of the front wing(s)

Re 1, it will hopefully be possible to verify the subframe alignment measurements from the workshop manual with the subframe still in the car. Re 2, I suggest you use the chassis rails as data to assess the positioning of the suspension relative to the chassis (as with the chassis alignment diagram in the workshop manual). This is hard in my GT because there's been so much welding on the front of the o/s chassis rail, but it was possible in the end by levelling the two rear suspension mounting points and then the n/s chassis rail. This then revealed (using the alignment diagram, levelling across from the front n/s mounting points) incorrect positioning of the front o/s chassis mounting points. I think the trick is to level both from side to side and fore and aft, but I fear it may be hard to do this with the subframe in the car. 3 doesn't seem very likely, as it could not account for the lean at the rear (unless the rear wing was incorrectly positioned as well).

On my GT the rearmost front o/s mounting in the chassis rail is in the wrong place and misaligned (the hole in one face of the chassis rail is 10mm too high and the hole in the other face is 14mm too high). The foremost front o/s mounting point is 7mm too high. Interestingly, the front wheel arch to ground measurements are the same o/s and n/s with the chassis properly levelled. I think this means that the front of the o/s chassis rail and the inner wing have distorted over time, as a result of being bolted to the more rigid subframe. We are going to reposition (lower) and properly align (chassis rail face to face) the rearmost front o/s mounting and retain the shims that a PO had installed between the mounting block and the chassis rail. Hopefully this will do the trick. If not it's a new chassis rail and I don't get to drive my GT this summer. Watch this space!

Best wishes,
Nigel