View single post by edward_davis
 Posted: 08-30-2005 12:45 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
edward_davis

I'm wondering how many JH owners have gone ahead and put in at least an inline fuse for the headlight circuit.  It seems like a good idea, and a simple fix.  Just wire it into the brown wire that goes into the back of the headlight switch...

The whole problem with my lights seems to have stemmed from a short in the license plate lights.  The plastic lens that supports the contacts for the bulbs broke, and the hot lead grounded against the boot lid inside the light housing.  It seems to have happened before, as the lens is smoky and black, and the electical tape around the wires there was melted and fused together.  Also, amongst the parts I inherited from the PO was the original plastic three-point connector for the back of the tailight, melted and burned.  Looks like the license plate light shorted, the switch overheated and began to burn, and the PO cut the circuit and installed the fusebox I inherited.  He fixed the problem on one side, but in my case, the other license plate light broke in the same way and created the same short again.  Except that now, the short just blows the 20 amp fuse and there is no burning.

I fixed the license plate lights with superglue and put a lot of electrical tape on the metal inside the light housing in the bootlid.  This seems to have fixed my problem, but it would be a shame for someone's beloved car to burn up simply because of a short in the little license plate light.