View single post by Jim Picot
 Posted: 05-05-2015 02:24 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim Picot

I've had 18024 on the road 5 months now (and driven it 23 times, according to the club permit log book, where does time go??). Brand  new suspension, brakes, clutch and numerous other smaller items.

I completely rebuilt the suspension:
Front subframe - sandblasted, a few weld repairs of corrosion and wear, repainted
Front Upper and lower arms - new
Front ball joints - new
Front lower damper brackets - new
Rear upper and lower arms - sandblasted and repainted
Coil springs - new from Martin Robey (standard)
Dampers - new Spax adjustables
Bushes - all new Superpro polyurethane
Hardware - all bolts and nuts replaced with new

I noticed after I torqued up the last bolts that the car leaned on the driver's side (right side in this country!). I thought maybe it just needs to settle a bit, but after over 5 months and 500 miles, it's the same. Measured at the centre of the wheel arch, the front driver's side is 30 mm (1-1/4") lower than the passenger side, and 20 mm (3/4") lower at the rear.

Any suggestions? I can't imagine that new springs could have that much of a difference in spring rate, surely? New dampers shouldn't be binding and I can't see any sign of that (externally, I haven't removed them to check individually). As far as I can tell, the car is straight. What measurements can I take to try to isolate where the problem might be?

Any help appreciated!