View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 03-30-2015 06:54 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

The original steel-asbestos-steel gasket between the header and the head aren't bad, but they do tend to blow over time. The exhaust manifold gasket Lotus used in the later Euro 910 Turbo engine are a triple laminate of stainless steel with no asbestos (they're a lot like the Cometic MLS gaskets). They don't blow, and I've even re-used them multiple times.

The original Euro 910 gasket, and all Federal 910 gasket is a double-laminate. That's what LCU (Lotus Cars USA) sells in North America... they never brought in the upgrade triple laminate. You can get the upgraded triple-laminate gasket from Euro sources, or in the USA, JAE has had an aftermarket triple-laminate stainless steel gasket made. I've used it many times, and it works well.

The difference is that the Lotus version (both double & triple) is crimped together around the perimeter, and the JAE version is riveted together (eyelets) at three points. For some manifolds, one eyelet can interfere, but a little trimming fixes any interference. Once installed, the joint doesn't care of the gasket came crimped, or with eyelets.

The triple-laminate gaskets are much more expensive than the old 907 gaskets, but they last. Removing the manifold with the engine in the car is a pain, and not having to repeat the job can be worth the higher price of the gaskets. The Lotus OEM gaskets are much more expensive than the JAE gaskets. I'm not certain, but I think SJ Sportscars in England also sells a riveted triple-laminate gasket similar to JAE's, and they may even get it from JAE. Check with Steve.

Last edited on 03-30-2015 07:01 pm by Esprit2