View single post by answerman
 Posted: 03-16-2015 06:32 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
answerman

Hey guys.  I wasn't quite sure where to post this.  Not really a JH specific question, more of a "dealing with an old car with old electrics" question.

Like most of us, I have a somewhat leaky Lotus 907 under the hood and before I tackle the exhaust header replacement, I thought it would be a good idea to try to clean things up under there.  The entire bottom half of the engine looks like it's never been cleaned... a pretty good layer of built up grease/oil/dirt/whatever.

I am not planning on pulling the engine at this time, so I guess I'm curious... what can I do to reduce the chances of causing myself more trouble than I want to while cleaning the engine?  My plan was to remove the battery, alternator, coil, and plug wires, and then remove the air filter (I have the stock "muffler" air filter with Strombergs) and cover the opening on the airbox, along with wrapping up the distributor with a plastic bag and tie.  Then, shoot the whole thing with degreaser, rinse with low pressure, repeat as necessary.

Am I missing anything?