View single post by Art DeKneef
 Posted: 01-08-2015 01:27 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Art DeKneef

Eric,

Replacing just the front shocks can be done with the strut rod attached if I remember correctly. There are 2 brackets that attach to the lower part of the shock. After you loosen the top nuts and then remove them you can compress the spring some. Then removes the nuts that hold the brackets to the lower arm. Keep the bolts in place if you can. They will try to get loose as you loosen the nuts. Then it is a matter of wiggling the brackets out with the shock attached.

I think the rod will have to be removed to lower the lower arm enough to get the spring out.

Replacing the strut rod bushings requires the complete removal of the rod in order to remove and replace the bushings. I seem to remember having to work a little to get them out. After they are removed and the area cleaned they pretty much slid in after being greased up.

Remember that the strut rod helps with the alignment of the front end. So before you take anything a part, get some measurements so when it goes back together you can be close to where you were before.

It's a doable job by yourself, helps if you have someone to assist

Art