View single post by Joel
 Posted: 08-19-2005 06:21 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Joel

ok. i'm definately thinking along the same lines. i was thinking about getting a new rotor and dist cap - they're cheap and i can keep the old ones as spares. the car is actually driveable now so i'm pretty happy. before it was a real PITA. also the motor is pulling MUCH stronger now (funny what adding a coupla cylinders can do for you).

we did test the compression when we realized that two cylinders didn't seem to be running right - thankfully all was well. i wasn't running the test (i was cranking the car) so i don't know what the numbers were - but they were fine.

re the front carb - i don't know when they were last balanced/adjusted. actually the carbs are one of the few things that intimidates me a little. . . i had a stromberg on an old mercedes i used to drive. auuughhh.

anyway, i checked the fluid level in the carbs when first got the car - the front one was dry. so i topped it off with fluid and it seems to be ok. not losing any fluid and has pressure on the plunger, good seal, etc. also, we sprayed around the carbs looking for vacuum leaks and didn't find any - so that's a positive sign as well.

right now, i'm still convinced that it's a spark problem. tonite i'll pull each plug wire then each plug individually and check the spark.

but, i think the 1st step is probably to get the rotor and cap. i guess i'll cruise thru the postings - i'm sure i saw someone describe how to pull the distributor somewhere.

thanks for the comments. sorry i couldn't make the margarita party on saturday. i was busy monkeying with the car and doing house stuff. perhaps next time the car will be running right and i can make it up. i'm also going to miss the get together here in SD. i'll be in Japan that week. i was really hoping to see some other cars.

Last edited on 08-19-2005 06:22 pm by Joel