View single post by Joel
 Posted: 08-19-2005 04:56 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Joel

Ok, I thought I had carb troubles. But, it's not a fuel problem (yet) it's fire.

The car was running berry berry poorly. Actually, according to my mechanic friend, only on 2 cylinders at idle. We pulled the plugs and two of them were barely putting out any spark.

The plug wires were pretty mickey moused by the PO(S). So, yesterday I put new plug wires on (thank you Greg!!). Now I don't have to heel and toe to keep the car running when I stop. . .nice. Now the car will actually idle quite nicely most of the time.

But - it's still not 100%. Same symptoms just to a lesser extent. Idles a little rough, hesitation on acceleration at low RPMs (kind of stuttering actually), etc.

I have not pulled the plugs yet and checked but I think I'm still going to find a weak spark on cylinders 1 and 2. Before when I pulled the wires with the car running - on 1 and 2 the car didn't run any differently!!

The car has pertronix. What do you think I should check/replace next? Distributor cap looks to be in decent shape. I cleaned the contacts a little but they look pretty good.

Ideas?