View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 08-19-2005 02:26 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Very peculiar.  Does the problem occur when only when the turn signals are used, or also when the hazard lights are flashing?  Is the big ground cable from engine to chassis still in place and making good contact?

Since the problem appears to be temperature related, it's logical to assume that something that changes as it warms up would be involved.  This could be the tach itself, the voltage stabilizer, a miswire connecting the tach-to-coil wiring with a light bulb, etc.

I would approach the problem assuming that there might well be several things wrong at the same time.  Probably the first thing I'd try is to undo, examine, and repair if necessary, all of the wiring plugs and sockets under the dash, playing very close attention to the insides, where there might be loose wire shards or other conductive debris.  Electrical contact cleaner, or brake cleaner, works well there.

If that didn't resolve the issue, I'd disable entire systems, e.g. the turn signals, and see if that told me anything.  This might lead to ONLY the tach/ignition circuit and fuel pump wiring remaining connected -- in which case one then reconnects systems, one at a time, until the problem reoccurs.  (Though bear in mind that occasionally when this process is used, the problem goes away and never reappears.  This isn't magic, just insufficient attention and observation on the mechanic's part.  Or so it says in the fine print.  :^}  )