View single post by NigelK
 Posted: 08-03-2014 01:55 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
NigelK

Did some "fact finding" yesterday. Both springs are installed the right way up ("flat" side uppermost) and there is no evidence of leakage from the dampers. With the car supported on axle stands under the lower wishbones, I measured the front coil spring lengths having re-torqued the upper and lower fulcrum bolts. There is a 15mm difference between the nearside spring (longer) and the offside spring (shorter). This difference cannot be completely accounted for by the spring packer installed at the top of the nearside coil spring only as this packer is only 7mm thick. And it is supposed to be there, according to Jason at Rejen and the GT parts book. Even taking this into account, the spring length difference could easily account for the front offside being so low.

So I will replace both coil springs, swap the existing Armstrong dampers for the same Spax adjustables I have on the rear, and replace the coil spring seats which are quite perished. I'll check with Jason again before refitting the packer on the nearside spring, because it does sound odd to only have it it one side...

One question - I had to disconnect the anti-roll bar from the lower wishbone to remove the coil spring. Does anyone know the correct torque for the 1/2" fixing? It's obviously not in the J-H workshop manual which I am using. I would have thought something in the order of 32 lb.ft would be appropriate, but I'd appreciate any other guidance.