View single post by answerman
 Posted: 07-16-2014 09:56 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
answerman

This is kind of hard to explain, and I'm not even sure I have a problem yet, it may be all in my mind.  I haven't gotten under the car to see if I can figure it out yet.

First, the question: is it normal for the transmission to shift/move from side to side while driving?  And if so, what would be causing it?

What brought this on:  Took Ms. Jenavieve out for a drive with the local British car club last weekend, and on the way back Mrs. Answerman asked if she could drive.  So, this was the first time that I've sat in the passenger seat for any length of time.   I noticed as we were driving along that the shift lever is not even close to being centered in the console opening, it's probably about centered when in first/second gear, and in reverse it's almost touching the right edge of the console cutout.  Like I said, I've never really looked at it from this angle before, so maybe it's always been like that and I never noticed before.

Since I noticed this, of course I've gotten all paranoid about it and have been paying attention.  Another thing I've since noticed is that it actually moves while driving.  If I take a reasonably hard right turn, I can see the lever actually move to the left about an inch during the turn.  Same thing on the other side.

Again, maybe it's always been like this and I've just not been paying attention.  So, asking the question again: is this normal?  And if it's not, what should I be looking for?  Motor mounts maybe?  Is there a mount that holds the transmission in place, or is it just bolted to the engine?

Last edited on 07-17-2014 08:06 pm by answerman