View single post by Tom Bradley
 Posted: 04-26-2014 12:32 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Tom Bradley

It has been a while since my last update.  I have been making progress and also have been out having fun with it.  The exhaust side of the rear end was almost an inch lower than the other side, so I replaced the bushings in the rear end.  A couple were in seriously degraded shape.  That got my height difference down to about 1/4 inch, which is about as good as I think I am going to get.  The body is not exactly centered above the wheels, so the weight is not exactly balanced either.  I cannot see anything  I can do about it.  My guess is that it came that way from the factory.  Anyway, it rides nice, so I am not going to worry about it.

I also went over the rear wheel brakes.  One side was leaking fluid and one of the pistons on the other side was frozen after sitting so long.  Neither was all that hard to fix.

I also put a 10V solid state regulator in for the voltage stabilizer.  Not that I have anything against buying a new one from Delta: I am all for keeping these guys in business.  But that old thermo-electro-mechanical gizmo that was there originally drove me nuts.  This regulator should last forever without needing any adjustment.  It fits in the original voltage stabilizer can as well (see below).

After all this, I got about 100 miles on the car around town.  Lots of fun except this car seems to attract looky-loo tailgaters something fierce.  And I mean serious tailgating, like 10 feet behind my bumper at 50MPH.  Don't ask me why.  The exterior is not restored at all.  Does anyone else around here have the same problem?   I never had this problem before when I was driving it regularly.

Next installment will be fuel tank fun.  The tank was pretty rusty so I pulled it out for cleaning and lining.  I will post an update once I get everything back together right.

Attachment: 10V regulator.JPG (Downloaded 280 times)