View single post by atgparker
 Posted: 12-08-2013 07:37 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
atgparker

Hello Gordon,
I think your thermostat is a very good idea with the cooler weather in England. This winter in Southern California has been a cooler one than in years past and being what it is with a 160°F thermostat in the coolant the oil pressure on my car seems to stay quite high until the oil has warmed up after about 5 to 10 minutes from a dead cold start. It seems the oil pressure is quite telling about how warm or cold the engines oil has become when at idle and its still above 50 PSI during the warm up period. I think the STP oil treatment I added to get the ZDDP into the Castrol 20W50 has mostly thinned out to a good degree at this point as the oil pressure seems to get nice and bouncy with RPM changes sooner in time than when I had first put it in the engine.

I make a catch ramp out of aluminum foil and position it under the Power Filter when I unthread the outer housing. This helps quite well with keeping things relatively oil free. But a remote mount would be excellent with this filter in a vertical orientation. It also has a 1/8 NPT plug in the end of the outer housing cover which one could use to drain it with or run a gauge from to see pressure across the filter to access the degree of muck that the screen may have caught. The amount of Permatex gasket sealant used on 11602's engine and transmission told me this was a favorite remedy for one or more of the PO's in this cars history. I literally removed a complete handful of this stuff from the oil pan when I had the engine out for the rear main seal folly.