View single post by atgparker
 Posted: 11-27-2013 04:15 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
atgparker

Hey Chaps, I have a pair of Weber 45DCOE9's on 11602 and I have been experimenting with the float height. I noticed that the 8.5mm is specified in your lists and on a lot of literature. I tried that 8.5mm height setting this week and it definitley is wrong for my carbs which are older units with brass floats and only three progression holes in the throats were the throttle plates swing by as you come off-idle. Lots of popping and back firing as I roll the throttle back to idle and poor accelleration off idle til I get above 2500 RPM then it would get past the progression and into the main fueling circuits. So, I managed to stumble upon and took a look at the Weber DCOE shop manual which is in Italian with English sub notes. It was on a Lotus web page download link and there is an intersting table that lists float height settings for variuos cars, Alphas and Astons to name a few. For the 45DCOE9 there are multiple float level setting ranging from 5 to the 8.5mm which it seems has a direct bearing on the progression holes. All I can add is that at 8.5 the fuel level is lower in the bowl and thus it is going to lean out the progression hole delivery as the butterflies are cracked open. My car runs like crap at the 8.5mm float height and is like a dream when I set it to 5mm like I discovered this morning with it freshly set at this setting last night. I'm tempted to update the progression holes to four in my bodies as the later DCOE's have one extra hole that is right on the edge of the throttle plate when it is at idle with the idle set screws some were between a 1/4 and 1/2 turn to get the RPM to 900. I'm also running a Mr. Gasket fuel regulator set at 1.5PSI and that seems to be keeping the needle and seat's happy and so far no more fuel on the starter motor.

Last edited on 11-27-2013 04:19 pm by atgparker