View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 08-06-2005 08:59 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

The possibilities I see are (a) the drum is rusted solid to the flange on the axle shaft or to the backing plate or both, (b) the drum has been ground away by worn-out brake shoes that now project into the body of the drum, (c) the shoes are rusted solid to the drum, or some combination thereof.

The solution to (a) is to apply an actual penetrating oil such as Liquid Wrench to each of the wheel studs and to the space between the drum and axle flange, and anywhere else you think rust might be lurking.  Then give the outer face of the drum a few good hammer whacks between each pair of studs -- the parts should ring at least a little, which allows the penetrating oil to creep in a bit further.  Repeat this several times a day for several days, then see if the drum can be removed.  You could also try alternately heat from a propane torch, and ice cubes, applied to the face of the drum, possibly in conjunction with penetrating oil.

The solution to (b) is to release the self-adjuster by sticking a screwdriver into the hole provided for that purpose, then repeatedly tap / whack the backing plate and drum to encourage the brake shoes to retract.  Penetrating oil sprayed directly into the brake mechanism may be of benefit here.

The solution to (c) is pretty much the same as for (b) except that you will also want the penetrationg oil to creep between the drum and brake shoes.

If all the above fails, you'll probably have to expend the drum.  Try really forceful hammer whacks directly on the inner edge of the drum.  If that doesn't work, you might try to cut the drum into two or more sections using high-speed cutoff wheel.  I wouldn't use a cutting torch unless I no longer cared about the axle shaft or anything on the backing plate.

Good luck.