View single post by atgparker
 Posted: 10-28-2013 04:58 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
atgparker

I was wondering about those other holes in the sub frame as they looked like they could harbor a sway bar.

The bushing which fixes the rear of the sub frame to the unibody-chassis is perhaps the best candidate on the entire car to replace with a polyurethane replacement. Also the fasteners in my car, 11602 came with were undersized fasteners bolting this assembly together. So I replaced the sleeve and increased the fastener to a nice big 1/2-13UNC grade 8 bolt with a Nylock so that you don't have to torque the bolt to spec as you will crush the sleeve. The hole in the body will take the 1/2" bolt with out any drilling so I can only guess the smaller bolt was either a PO putting it there or JH choosing it for ease of assembly. You may need a spud wrench to get the holes in the frame and sub frame to align when you drive the bolt through. This might help with your sub frame mounted sway bar's response being quickened a bit if its still rubber and the bolts are the smaller ones.

In actuality the mounting of the sway bar to the unibody and the A-arms is mechanically a better means to spread the anti-roll loading into the chassis as it takes the sub frame to body flex out of the equation. Having said that the funky U bolts are starting to tare the sheet metal in the frame rail so I may have to plate the frame rail with some strip and perhaps weld in some blind nuts to secure the bracket for the bars OD.