View single post by atgparker
 Posted: 10-22-2013 11:19 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
atgparker

Jim, thanks for the prompt on the set screw inside the cam shaft. In researching the cam seal issue in the engine section of the forum I'm now aware of this plug inside the shaft. I had now idea the oil gallery is inside and axial with the CAM shafts center as I haven't had the CAMs out but it makes perfect sense for oiling the bearings in the towers. Otherwise the two holes that are just inboard of the seal's inner edge when intalled flush with the outside edge would be not return galleries and the seal would have oil pressure on them which would not work very well at all. I just hope I have a long enough socket allen and that it is the right fit in the plug. Before I replaced the cam pulleys I had "Right Stuffed" the washers and heads of the screws but the shaft is wet again like I hadn't repalced the seal at all. So the oil pressure would flow inside the slip fit between the pully and CAM shaft if the oil pressure is on this joint its going to spew and wet the shaft as it seeps out with 80psi behind it when at revs and warmed up. This make perfect sense to me now. So, I will remove the pully screws and washers tonight and see what I can find out about the plugs! When I took this apart the first time there was lot of oil behind the M10 Hex head screw/s that fix the pully so thanks again for the direction and understanding about the plugs.
Cheerio,
AP