View single post by Dan (Florida)
 Posted: 10-16-2013 01:23 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan (Florida)

I hope you have a level concrete floor possibly inside  to do the job.  The shop manual I have says pull the engine with the exhaust on and leave the transmission in place.    Put the front end up on stands  and remove the hood, radiator and fan. wires,  lines ,  clutch cable  steering shaft and muffler.  take the trans bolts out, block up the trans . I dont advise pulling the engine with the trans on.  Its a one man job with lots of new experiences.  I would lock the steering column straight ahead before pulling the lower shaft off ,  and once off check the upper steering shaft for play. That plastic lower bushing may need changing.  Also check the left front motor mount for shims. The engine sometimes is shimmed up for the steering shaft to clear the headers. You may have to loosen the steering rack to get the shaft out.  Take a picture of the steering shaft in place so you will know how it is supposed to look. With the3 engine out is a good time to check lower bearings and seals. The rear main seal on the older engines can only be replaced with the engin out and the crankshaft out.  Also if you can afford it take the flywheel to a machine shop and have them remove a couple of pounds of weight off of the outer rim of the wheel. It makes a noticeable difference.

hth, Dan