View single post by Jim Picot
 Posted: 09-28-2013 06:26 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim Picot

Actually the bushes came out quite easily after cutting with the hacksaw - none were corroded in. I was a bit zealous on the first one and cut into the steel pressing beneath (all  the way through at one end!), but some artful strokes of the MIG followed by a file fixed that quickly enough.

However...after removing the bushes at the axle end of the lower arms, I encountered another problem. Corrosion has severely attacked the pressing beneath. One is possibly salvageable, the hole is about the size of a 5 cent piece and the metal surrounding it is rather thin. But the other is missing nearly 50% of the metal, and the remainder is mostly very thin. Some artful surgery with the MIG might work, but it will mean cutting away the top of the arm for access to the back, and re-welding it with a backing piece (I can use the old bushing!) - but it would be a difficult job.

I think it would be better if I can find some new lower arms...does anyone have any ideas, or better yet, some good arms?? I assume these aren't available new, are they readily available second hand?