View single post by dthewlis
 Posted: 09-19-2013 11:07 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
dthewlis

Will definitely do once I get things installed - won't happen for a few weeks as I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow.  Looking at the original door speaker grilles you sent, I have now uncovered a new difficulty.  The new speakers I got (Retrosound 452N) are the right size, not too deep, and sound really nice.  But they have a little tweeter right in the center which protrudes about 1/4 inch from the plane of the speaker front.  You can see this coming - the original grilles are indented so won't fit cleanly over the speakers. 

I need to see if I can recess the speakers in the doors  somehow to let the original grilles fit over them correctly - or make some kind of a gasket which I was hoping to avoid - or find another set of speakers that will work.

I managed to get original new center console speaker grilles from Marten Robey and I am not quite sure if they will have the same problem with these speakers but it might be easier to recess the speakers in the center console.

(The overall plan, since the new audio system has both front and rear stereo outputs, was to have the driver's side be the 'front' and the passenger's side be the 'rear'.) The installation works but the speaker grilles which came with the Retrosound speakers are too large and too domed, almost interfere with opening and closing the glove compartment, and just look out of place.  Sometime before I got 19299 the original owner had the car re-upholstered in white leather (Southern California) - when they did it they left off the door speakers, the courtesy lights, and other stuff.  Hard to make myself cut the leather...)