View single post by Dan (Florida)
 Posted: 08-06-2013 11:54 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan (Florida)

It doesn't sound like a main seal leak.  The rear main seal is in front of the flywheel and should not leak into the clutch area. What could leak are the flywheel bolts which could leak  into the clutch area if not sealed properly on install.  I would think that this would cause a lot more clutch slipping than you indicate.  A rear main seal  leak could be thrown by the flywheel into the starter housing and leak out the bottom of the starter but probably wouldn't pool on the side of the engine.    My guess is to feel up under the distributer and under the oil filter and oil cooler adapter. I eliminated the oil cooler adapter as a constant source of leaks.  The oil cooler doesn't seem to be of much value on a street engine and can be eliminated easily.  The distributer also has an oring that  can and will leak  and can leak right through the distributer shaft and out the cap.  Search there before pulling the transmission.  Also check the port above the starter where the oil pressure gauge taps off. Its pretty obvious if it leaks, and leak it will.

hth   Dan