View single post by Ron Earp
 Posted: 08-03-2005 06:51 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Ron Earp

Well, here is what sort of started all of this - troubles starting.

Right now when you crank the engine she spits out of both ends - carb and exhaust. 

The cam timing is dead on at 110 In 110 Ex.  I also know that when the timing pointer is at zero the #1 piston is at TDC, verified that when I built it with a dial indicator.

The ignition timing is right, we've checked and double checked that, it sits right at 9 degrees before TDC.

But, still spits out of both ends.

Leak down test reveals that #1 and #4 are leaking down a lot, probably through the valves.  Clearances were checked, spot on. But dammit, the head was just rebuilt and should not have bent valves since the timing was dead on, and shouldn't have sticky valves either - still, we've got some leaking going on.

So, I'm pulling the cam carriers, taking the cams out of the equation, and doing a leak down. If the problem goes away, we know it is the cams/timing for some unknown reason.  If it stays, then I suppose we've a head problem.  I'm just perplexed since before I put the head on it had a three angle valve job and I put WD40 in the combustion chambers, turned the head upside down, and let it sit overnight - no seepage or leakage.

I'm starting to suspect something funny with the cams, cam gears, and cam timing, but I can't seem to figure it out since it all seems right.

Ron 

Last edited on 08-03-2005 11:58 pm by Ron Earp