View single post by answerman
 Posted: 04-02-2013 05:20 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
answerman

Quick update... picked up the speakers tonight and decided to put them in so that part was done when the radio got here.

I have to say I'm confused about the door speaker mounting. They are definitely designed for 4" speakers, since 5 1/4 would overhang the beveled area they mount in, but the 4" speakers I got didn't quite fill the opening. I thought about it for a while and decided to try a little field modification, especially since I didn't care for the way they would have mounted anyway.

What I ended up doing was going to the hardware store and picking up a roll of 1/2" sponge rubber window insulation, and circling the back of the door trim cutout for the speaker, so I would have a nice seal between the door trim and the door metal. Then, I put the door trim panel back on and mounted the speaker to the trim panel, drilling holes into the beveled area. That worked out pretty well, though I lost the stock speaker grilles in the process since they wouldn't fit over the speakers anyway. I ended up using the grilles that came with the speakers.

Tomorrow: the Retrosound radio arrives, and that goes in along with building and installing the rear speaker box. Once that is all done, the interior will be reassembled and I can actually drive her in comfort (though the weather's not supposed to get out of the 40s for the rest of the week so she'll probably stay in the garage anyway).