View single post by Dan Collier
 Posted: 07-27-2005 06:21 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan Collier

We'll I'm up and running with the new Toyota 5 Speed Transmission. I have many pictures posted in the JHPPG Photo Galley. Toyota Conversion Here's a recap of the events if you are a do-it-yourself mechanic:

1. Find a transmission from a local "Pick Your Part" wrecking yard. I found where I could buy used transmissions for $115 and pay $30-$50 to have them removed from the cars. Normal wrecking yards want more than $650 and offer a 90 day warranty.
2. Order the conversion kit from the club store. Place a second order for the shifter tower extension from Conversion Components. CCwill give you 30 days to return the core or they will charge you a $200 core fee.
3. Pull the old transmission and drive shaft from your car. Nothing will be used from your former JH setup.
4. Split the transmission and install the linkage extension. Inspect all the gears and replace front and rear oil seals.
5. Before mounting the bell housing, look at the clutch fork opening and grind the rear portion of the opening. Without performing this step it could make it difficult to create the 5mm space you need between the throw out bearing and pressure plate.
6. Tap the pilot bushing on the input shaft. Be sure the bushing does not extend further than the tip of the shaft. I had to cut mine by 3/8 of an inch. You could break the bell housing if you don't follow this step.
7. You’ll need a new driveline. The yoke side is common on the Toyota's and the flange side is common on the Nissan's. Part numbers are listed in the gallery.
8. Install the transmission and be prepared to make modifications to the transmission mount. I had to provide hanging bolts from the transmission tunnel to accommodate the new crossmember. Bolt extension tubes were added to get the proper engine/transmission angle. A hole was cut in the crossmember to allow the plunger to extend through the mount. Total length will be 43 1/2 inches from the face of the flang to the end of the yoke.
9. Change the speedo adapter and cable. Connect the reverse light. The stick shaft may come in contact with the rear side of the transmission tunnel. Don't cut it. It's better to tap the edge downwards. Add oil and fire it up.
10. You'll need to modify the stick shifter lever.

My disclaimer: I went into this project totally blind. I'm sure there’s better ways to do this project. Please feel free to share your concepts. I will tell you, I hate the transmission mount and will fabricate a well design crossmember in the future. 

Dan Collier
JH74 14381 2.2L
Jensen-Healey Preservation Photo Gallery

Last edited on 08-04-2005 03:07 am by Dan Collier