View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 07-23-2005 03:04 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

You can safely change the belt with the engine at TDC, provided you ensure that the cams do not rotate, but as Judson points out it is much safer to do it at 90^ BTDC.

And when the engine is at 90^ BTDC, I suggest that you mark the alignment point of the cam gears before loosening the belt tensioner.  This allows accidental movement of either gear to be quickly corrected, while avoiding the need to repeatedly go through the whole tedious installation process.  Naturally one would always make a final check at TDC.

From the engine bay photos I've seen, I'd guess that about 80% of all JH and GT owners strongly dislike the factory timing belt cover.  Nonetheless, since it is a safety feature, discarding it is a bit worrisome.  It occurs to me that one might fabricate a sensible alternative from expanded metal mesh, ideally with a folded metal strip or a thin wire secured to the edges for strength and stiffness.  This would allow visual and tactile examination of the timing belt and the front of the engine, yet would discourage or prevent the unintentional maiming of children, small animals, or incautious vehicle owners.

Come to think of it, this might even be a decent product for Greg Fletcher to add to the 'Jensport' line.