View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 07-22-2005 06:21 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

It's my understanding that the mounting studs for the transmission crossmember are located in the same place for both 4- and 5-speed cars, but I'm not an expert on 5-speed cars and may be wrong.  That said, my understanding is provided below.

The 5-speed attaches to the car through (a) an adapter bracket, (b) the same transmission mount ('insulator') used by the 4-speed, and (c) the same transmission crossmember used by the 4-speed, as shown in the 'Cases and Bearings - Exploded' line drawing for the 5-speed transmission.

Attached are photos of 4- and 5-speeds with bell housings, unfortunately not to quite the same scale.  Nonetheless, it's quite clear from the photos that the 5-speed has a longer case and a much shorter bell housing than the 4-speed.

Based on these photos, with respect to the front face of the bell housing, I'd expect that the rear mounting surface on a 5-speed is actually two or three inches forward of the mounting foot on a 4-speed.  If that's actually the case, then it would make sense for the adapter bracket to make up the difference and place the transmission crossmember in the same location for both 4- and 5-speed cars.  From the line drawing of the bracket, it appears that this is precisely what it's intended to do.

IIRC, you mentioned elsewhere that you bought this 5-speed as part of a parts collection intended for a 4- to 5-speed conversion.  Since you've already had a problem with the drive shaft, perhaps you should be suspicious of the remaining parts.  You might measure the front-to-rear dimensions of the bell housing, transmission, etc., and compare these to those from parts known to be factory items.

If all else fails, it should be a simple matter to drill a pair of holes on either side of the transmission tunnel so that things will line up and mount to the car.

One last thought here, you might also check the engine mount brackets that bolt to the block.  It's conceivable that they might be the wrong parts, or installed incorrectly, or perhaps both.

Attachment: trannsmission comparison.jpg (Downloaded 117 times)